The Five Element Cycle and Yin & Yang, both direct how we can eat to bring more abundance, health and love into our lives, and who doesn’t want that?!
When you eat based on what the current season provides, you are also balancing the associated organs. I love CSA (or Community Supported Agriculture) as one of the many gifts it brings, is that it guides us to eat according to what the earth is offering at that present moment. Not only a beautiful reminder to breathe in the now, but also a grand opportunity to harmonize your health.
So how do you eat according to the season? Being a CSA member does make that pretty easy so you don’t have to figure out what is in season. If you are not a CSA member, just stay educated about what the seasons bring!
The following are brief guidelines of the element, color, season, and organs, and some foods that should help you stay on track all year round:
- WINTER: Water Element, Kidneys, & Dark Colors; sea vegetables, blackberries, blueberries, dark grapes, walnuts, black beans, black lentils, and a variety of salty foods such as miso.
- SPRING: Wood Element, Liver, & The Color Green & Blue; celery, sprouts, kale, cucumbers, chlorophyll, leafy greens, green lentils, parsley, zucchini, artichokes, green apples, and avocados.
- SUMMER: Fire Element, Heart, & The Color Red; berries, peaches, plums, strawberries, persimmons, tomatoes, cayenne, curry, sweet and hot peppers, chickpeas, and guava.
- LATE SUMMER / EARLY FALL (TRANSITIONAL PHASE): Earth Element, Spleen, and The Color Yellow; yams, all varieties of squash, sweet corn, sweet peas, string beans, sweet apples, figs, cantaloupe, oranges, tangerines, dates, papaya, pecans, almonds, and sunflower seeds.
- FALL: Metal Element, Lungs, & The Color White; sauerkraut, white onions, vinegar, white rice, garlic, leeks, white beans, cauliflower, cabbage, bananas, pears, ginger, cinnamon, and yogurt.
In addition, keep your plates colorful and balanced of Yin and Yang energy. Yin foods are milder liquids, fruits, and veggies. Yang Foods are bolder meats, eggs, and cheeses. Meals should include both Yin and Yang foods to promote a balance of relaxing calmness and warm energy.
Alas, Bon Appetit! Eat the rainbow, send love to your food, and may you always be in harmony with the flow of the mother earth!